Edward “Ned” Bates is one of the most prominent and well-respected lawyers in family law and divorce, and a partner at Warner Bates. He represents and counsels clients across a full range of domestic law issues and is regularly called on by other attorneys to serve as a mediator and arbitrator.
In addition to helping clients with domestic law and family litigation matters, Ned has lectured and written extensively over the past 30 years on such issues as equitable distribution, tax aspects of divorce, prenuptial agreements and numerous other topics. He is the Author of Georgia Domestic Relations – Forms and Practice, which is recognized by lawyers throughout the state as the definitive domestic relations form book in Georgia. He has also served as co-chairperson of the American Bar Association’s Family Law Section Committee on International Enforcement of Support.
Ned is a past chairperson of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia, as well as past chairperson of the Atlanta Bar Association’s Family Law Section.
Among his numerous accolades, Ned has been rated in the Top 100 among Georgia Super Lawyers and has been named in Naifen and Smith’s Best Lawyers in America since 1990. He was the recipient of the Professionalism Award from the State Bar of Georgia, Family Law Section as well as the Jack P. Turner Award. He is also a Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer in Family Law and has been included in Atlanta Magazine’s list of Super Lawyers since 2004.
Born in Wilmington, North Carolina, Ned graduated from Washington & Lee University with a BA and received his law degree from the University of Georgia School of Law, where he served as executive editor of the Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law.
- University of Georgia, J.D.
- Washington & Lee University, B.A.
- Listed “Best Lawyers in America” Since 1990
- “Super Lawyer” by Atlanta Magazine Since 2004
- “Top Rated Lawyer in Family Law” by Martindale-Hubbell
- Martindale-Hubbell Judicial Edition Award
- AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell
- State Bar of Georgia (FormerChairperson, Family Law Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Former Board of Directors; Former Chairperson, Family Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Former Co-Chairperson, International Enforcement of Support Committee, Family Law Section)
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Charles L. Weltner Family Law American Inn of Court (Emiritus)